Asbestos Management and Surveys
Asbestos is a serious health hazard commonly found in our environment today. It is the most likely cause of death in the workplace. A lot of buildings still contain asbestos materials anywhere built or refurbished before the year 2000 is likely to contain asbestos and it is often in places where you can’t see it easily.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) estimates around 4000 deaths in the UK a year due to asbestos exposure. That’s around 11 people a day.
It is a legal requirement for all commercial property owners to:
• Take reasonable steps to find any asbestos in the premises and assess the condition of these materials.
• Presume that materials do contain asbestos unless there is strong evidence that they do not.
• Prepare a record of the location and condition of these asbestos-containing materials and assess the risk from them.
• Prepare and implement a plan to manage those risks.
• Provide information on the location and condition of the material to anyone who is liable to disturb it.
• Monitor the condition of the material left in place and to review the assessment of risk periodically.
This dangerous substance requires specialist skills to identify, test and manage. No demolition or refurbishment works must be carried out without a survey.
Trained MBO Safety Services Limited Asbestos consultants manage the survey process so you do not handle the asbestos-containing materials. After laboratory analysis, we recommend management and removal methods.
We also offer Asbestos UKATA and Awareness training.