Landlord fined following gas concerns at rental property

A landlord has been sentenced for failing to maintain gas appliances at a rental property in accordance with the law.

The Magistrates Court heard that between 3 May 2017 and 28 June 2017 inspectors from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and Gas Safe Register inspected a property. They found a gas cooker which was not to current standards, a boiler which was found to be a risk which may constitute a danger to life, and installation pipework considered to be immediately dangerous, exposing the tenant and others to potentially fatal exposure to carbon monoxide.

A HSE investigation found that the landlord, failed in his duty to have the gas appliances regularly inspected or maintained, and failed to provide a Landlord Gas Safety Record, all of which are legal requirements.  The landlord later complied with Improvement Notices which required he take action to deal with these issues.

The Landlord pleaded guilty to breaching Regulations 28, 36(2), 36(3) and 36(4) of the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998. He has been given a 12-month custodial sentence, suspended for 2 years and ordered to pay the full costs of £14,883.30.

HSE inspector said after the hearing: “Landlords must ensure gas appliances at their tenanted properties are checked by a Gas Safe Register engineer at least every 12 months and are maintained in a safe condition.

“HSE will not hesitate to take appropriate enforcement action against those that fall below the required standards.”

Information provided by https://press.hse.gov.uk/2021/02/15/landlord-fined-following-gas-concerns-at-rental-property/